Post- GTA02

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 19 16:21:00 CET 2008

Felipe Balbi wrote:
> I really like the idea of minimal bootloader, but not direct on the kernel.
> LKML won't like it at all. We can have a separate project for this minimal
> bootloader. I'm pretty sure 50k lines of code is way enough.

This would be the kernel booting into an initramfs specifically
tailored for this purpose and then booting the real system through
kexec. LKML won't mind - your kernel can do that already today :-)

> This is also a bit weird as if our sd card break we can't use the device
> :-s

At least you can replace it, unlike NAND soldered to the PCB or even
sitting in the same package as the MCU core :-) Also, one IMHO huge
benefit is that you can install the Flash technology available at the
time you buy the microSD card (and also at the size/price point at
that time), which may be years after we choose what chips go into the
system.