Bootloader

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 19 19:58:26 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> and patch out any other junk that leaks in to get the
> same effect.

That gets messy very quickly. E.g., just look at cpu/arm920t/start.S
which, besides the storage driver, which only needs reading, is
about all the "difficult" code we can share. Most of the other
essential stuff, memory timing, GPIOs, PMU, PLL magic, etc., lives
in board/neo1973/.

u-boot can be a great reference for the basic setup process and
perhaps some driver fragments, but there's way too much other stuff
that can only get in the way if you try to "dumb it down".

Really, in the time it took us to get u-boot to do what we need, we
could have written half a dozen primitive boot loaders from scratch.

Cheers, Werner