Bootloader

Gianluca gianlucarenzi at eptar.com
Thu Mar 20 09:15:50 CET 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 19:36, Andy Green wrote:
> > -1 for writing our own bootloader
I agree.

> > If U-boot is bloated and big, we should certainly look into why that's
> > so and slim it down, but IMO we should avoid reinventing the wheel and
> > stick with what works.
I stripped down u-boot code to 96k (just to fit in the very first NAND page, so
I don't care about NAND Errors (samsung told me that...)) and it has:
serial support, nand support (ecc), mmc support with vfat support. that's it. No fancy
LCD support, ethernet, or whatever. I think it is enough for a bootloader.
It loads kernel from nand into ram, and jumps into it.
All other init stuff is done at the kernel driver level, so I see no problem here...

> Huh I grepped it and it seems U-Boot already has s3c6400 support, I
> didn't realize.
So don't re-invent the wheel...

just my $.02... :^)

--