Post- GTA02

Felipe Balbi me at felipebalbi.com
Thu Mar 20 20:12:20 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:19:49PM -0500, Paul Jimenez wrote:
> -1 for writing our own bootloader
>
> If U-boot is bloated and big, we should certainly look into why that's
> so and slim it down, but IMO we should avoid reinventing the wheel and
> stick with what works.
>
> If we want to do the boot-straight-to-kernel thing, that's fine too.
>
> The main thing in either case is that we get to leverage other work
> being done that might be helpful (like drivers, etc) and don't have to
> spend resources keeping up-to-date.

Really, the bigger the codebase more possible bugs we have, more time we
spend to maintain it, more people should be involved in testing and
validating the code.

We already have a huge kernel. And booting is just about taking the cpu
out of reset state.

Maybe allowing some sort of flashing method as well, but this is other
stuff.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi