update from s-media regarding landscape flicker

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 26 09:51:54 CET 2008

I wrote:
> Yeah, tricky. But if we ask specific questions, they might look it up
> for us. I also wonder if there's any chance of getting something from
> Toshiba directly ?

Sometimes, wishes do come true :) We have the data sheet now, thanks,
Tony !

Alas, it only confirms that there's no easy way to get a landscape
mode. The chip's design contains a "RAM display mode" that would
allow us to pass data in pretty much any orientation, but setting
that mode is "prohibited", says the data sheet.

What's more damning is that the block diagram doesn't show any kind
of RAM that could buffer a screenful of data. And the interface to
the LCM is only 480 lines wide.

Now, it may be that there is a variant of the LCM controller that
actually has that RAM, and that we could get our LCMs equipped with
that one, but the chances for all this are slim at best. We'll keep
on inquiring ...