GTA02A5: Headset Amp circuitry, max output power to headset

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Sun Mar 30 11:47:40 CEST 2008

Am So  30. März 2008 schrieb TIM_LEE at fic.com.tw:
> Joerg:
> Thank you for your kindly suggestion!!
> Lat week we just discussed how to improve the stable issue during GSM
> download stages. and the root cause is that R4405(33R) influences download
> and audio max volume. IF we changed R4405 from 33R to 0R, that would
> un-stable during GSM download.

Ooops, so much on estimating possible side effects in 1h of time at Saturday
late in the night. You're absolutely right: if we can't get to set output of
LM4853 to highZ by setting AMP_3.3V, AMP_SHUT, MP_IN to a decent state, it's
really only R4405 to save function of GSM-download. As mentioned in my
followup mail it's probably best to keep these 33R.

> C4110 & C4111 will also impact the low frequency response, base on 0603
> normal dimension, the typical capacitance value will be 4.7uf maximum.

I suspected this. Well, 4u7 will give us a somewhat acceptable f0(-3dB) of
<70Hz at least for connecting to highZ e.g. line in of home stereo.
For improving sound of headset connection though, maybe these C may be chosen
some special formfactor/specifications (goldcap? Lower max voltage?), or may
be mounted some non-standard way (small side down, PCB backside or piggyback
a second C...). Some 22uF are *absolute_minimum* for usage of Freerunner as a
MP3-player with selected headphones, 47uF a reasonable goal to be able to use
most standard headsets.
If this is absolutely not feasible at all, at very least we should consider
making it as easy as possible for user to field change a second C by him
tapping both connection rails.

cheers
jOERG

> I will ask someone make some experiments using acoustic chamber in factory.
>
> Tim Lee

R.
> > (this is about FREEdom to kill your ears. If there are legal issues,
fulfill
> > them by sw, not by hw design)
> >
> > details:
> > Application info and datasheet do not demand any R, but clearly say that C
has
> > to be a certain minimum size.
> > with VDD=3,3V, the LM4853 has a typ. Po of 40mW to 33R in SE mode
> > (http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM4853.pdf page 4). However due to
R4405 /