GTA series power design

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Mon Mar 31 17:44:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 05:55:22PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> The new Regulator stuff

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/880290#880290

> If Linux makes requests to the MPU using a simple API, we can hide
> details like which PMU is used because we get a manifest from the MPU
> (this device has touchscreen, backlight, WLAN power, etc) and scan ask
> for "Backlight off"... how that is done Linux doesn't have to care even
> if on another variant we changed PMU.

That scenario should be fairly straightforward to support with the
framework - the regulator chip driver interface uses a series of fairly
high level callbacks:

  http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-audioplus.git;a=blob;f=include/linux/regulator/regulator-drv.h;h=c0d924bfe37595df274840c08d9baa1a3ee94adf;hb=dev

and the interface for connecting regulators and devices together on a
given system is designed to keep all the information about how things
are wired together in one place, away from the drivers for individual
devices:

  http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-audioplus.git;a=blob;f=include/linux/regulator/regulator-platform.h;h=bc0b7af33919fed4afc56dfeb1e8ae636c5c1d06;hb=dev

If the MPU was doing the actual PMU control then you could hide as much
information about the interconnects as you feel like in there.