MUXer issues

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:27:33 CEST 2008

On 29/05/2008, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:
> > We can configure dbus and glib out then, simplifying this project?
>

> Scratch my previous reply to that sentence, I misread configuring out as
>  ripping out. Yes, I think a patch that makes configuring a static amount
>  of MUXing channels hence dbus and glib optional would be acceptable.

Err, is there a performance gain from that? We already have the whole
system use D-bus and it's not a bother in the the case of muxd.
Dynamic allocation of DLCs allows one to run an arbitrary application
that uses modem without disturbing our GSM stack (ok, depends on the
application but in many cases this is the case).  Even the kernel
implementations were designed to have DLCs allocated dynamically as
requested by userspace by opening or closing an appropriate /dev/
node, much like ptys in Linux.
--
Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary. Spread
environmental awareness.