short white screen after kernel boots

Chia-I Wu olv at openmoko.org
Sat Nov 1 09:26:29 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 12:12:08AM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> What I had in mind is not that userspace should bring up the backlight
> (it will look like a brick then if you booted into a rootfs that didn't
> know it was expected) but that the framebuffer driver will blank the
> video memory and then bring up the backlight just after Glamo driver inits.
>
> What we could do is chvt to 4 say and put a small logo in there during
> glamo framebuffer init, just before backlight comes up?
This is with Qi, right?  I am using stable kernel and it takes about
1.25 seconds before we can show anything fancy on the screen.  300ms of
which are mdelay()'s in gta02_machine_init (powering on WLAN module?).
If we could remove them, it is possible to show a graphical screen
within 1 second.  This does not take into account the time we spend in
bootloader, which could be another some seconds.

This is also sort of what I am thinking about.  If we define our normal
power-on action to be, for example, long press the power button for 5
seconds, we can give the users an impression that it enters graphical
boot within 1 second.  Because Qi could do its work, including loading
the kernel to ram, during the press without users noticing.  If the
power button is released before 5 seconds, Qi powers down the machine
instead of booting the kernel.

--
Regards,
olv