Jffs2: GC improvement

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Mon Nov 3 01:51:44 CET 2008

| Hi there,
| I just saw this jffs2 patch [1] on lkml and gave it a try to see which
| impact it could have on boottime. It speeds up boottime of my barebones
| illume-image by 2.5 seconds which leads to a total boottime of ~47
| The patch applies cleanly to the current openmoko kernel so it might be
| worth to stick it in there. Disclaimer: Besides compiling/booting (incl
| doing some bootcharts) I have not done any testing whatsoever.
| Cheers,
| Adrian
| [1] - http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/2/115

Wow the author says he cut 60s off his boot time... but all it is doing
really is choking this garbage collection thread so it has to "slow the
hell down" as he says.  Then the path to accessing NAND is more clear
for foreground code.

Because the patch is so simple I guess we should give it a try on stable
branch.  Thanks a lot for pointing it out and reporting your test.