Mysterious text console decay (was Re: WLAN with Linux SDIO: sneak preview)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Nov 4 23:32:34 CET 2008

I'm starting a new thread for it, lest the WLAN thread gets too
confusing.

I let the freshly booted device sit idle for many hours and nothing
happened. Then I booted again and let it sit some more but still got
the same. The next try was with a bit of WLAN activity. That brought
out the console problem (unfortunately, I forgot to check after how
much time):

This is roughly what the LCM normally looks like:
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/lcm-normal.png

And this is the decay (sorry about cutting off the left border):
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/lcm-decayed.jpg

You'd think someone had been playing Nethack ;-)

As Andy predicted, pressing POWER brought back the screen in its
former glory.

I'm not sure if WLAN is really connected to this or if that was
mere coincidence. I'll run more tests.