IMEI question

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at
Sun Nov 9 18:12:59 CET 2008

Am Do  6. November 2008 schrieb Nicholas Obody:
> Dear OpenMoko
> If I purchase an OpenMoko cell phone, can I change the IMEI
> (Is the serial located in the samsung GSM chip - can the IMEI in this
> chip be accessed and changed progammable thru an API or similar?)
> Kind regards,

Setting IMEI is restricted to factory calibration process.
OM won't publish any hint on how to change IMEI, as GSM regulations make a
unique IMEI set by factory mandatory.

Be warned: Any messing around with IMEI and other GSM-FW related things most
certainly will brick your device. This is *not* covered by any warranty.