Disabling touch screen.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Nov 10 01:39:16 CET 2008

On Mon, November 10, 2008 10:21 am, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Sunday 09 November 2008 14:01:21 schrieb Christian Adams:
>> is there an interface in /sys to tell the touch-screen to start/stop
>> emit events?
>
> No.
>
>> it would be very usefull to be able to do so to carry our FR in a
>> pocket and it's not turning on display/backlight on every move you
>> make ..
>
> I agree -- being able to turn off the touchscreen would be appreciated by
> userland.

All we have to do is undo the kernel hack which effectively disables
EVIOCGRAB and then it is trivial to turn off the touchscreen.
Just open the device and issue that ioctl.

I think userspace has been fixed to not depend on this hack any more,
so I guess I should prod the kernel guys to drop that patch.

Prod.

We simply want to revert

  a6b37451a52ae7d30c2493b9cc14b8604e81587d

The 'andy' branch has that reverted and another patch from me
replacing it.  We don't really need that patch.

As long as we keep
   5c2f325aefe9280ae6f1220200bf40281d218fda
no bad things will happen.

Once we have an X server which uses /dev/input exclusively for
keyboard and mount, and does not open /dev/input/mice at all
(i.e. it will need to understand hotplugging itself) then
we can loose that last hack as well.

NeilBrown