PATCH/RFC [0/3]: Fix suspend and other acceleromter issues

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sun Nov 16 11:26:10 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> |> There is no magic number as far as I know. Most of the time, the cause
> |> is cleared out by reading the one sample. That is why we see data
> for a
> |> while before it suddenly hangs. What I'm saying is that reading the
> |> sample doesn't guarantee that you will clear the cause and toggle the
> |> interrupt line. If there is sufficient delay before the ISR runs, then
> |> reading the sample isn't good enough because there was another one
> ready
> |> immediately and the IRQ didn't toggle.
>
> I don't see why we need both level interrupt and looping in the ISR.  If
> we have level interrupt, we will just come back into the ISR immediately
> on exit from it in the case a new sample came in the window between
> reading the registers and exiting the ISR.  So explicit looping would be
> redundant.

Yes, Agreed and we don't loop with level interrupts.

> If we have edge interrupt, it shouldn't make any difference either: if
> the second interrupt came before we read the XYZ then the old sample is
> lost overrun-style but the new one is fetched and acknowledged; if it
> comes after we cleared the interrupt by reading XYZ it should be
> recognized as a new interrupt by the CPU hardware and like on level we
> should re-enter the ISR on exiting it.

Like I said, just reading the sample doesn't cause an acknowledge. There
is a possibility that the line never toggles.

> Somehow for edge to fail we need our SPI bitbang to be screwed up (so we
> never actually succeed to clear the interrupt source when we think we
> read XYZ), or this "window" business where there is a bad moment to get
> a second edge interrupt for some reason.
>
> In the past we didn't block interrupts right around the service and /sys
> stuff, and since we have two indepenent accels with async interrupt
> requests sharing the same SPI bus my belief is that was enough to tread
> on each others' communication for the ISR action and cause the inability
> to see more edges.  The bitbang-all-the-way and other patches nailed
> interrupt locking right down everywhere and if we don't see the symptom
> any more I guess that was it.  But using level would recover from even
> that.
>
> Maybe what we should do is go back to edge as a test and see if we are
> still solid now, meaning we fixed the underlying "treading on toes"
> issue already.

Unless you read samples until the bit toggles, you'll still have this
problem when the ISR is sufficiently delayed. With edge trigger, you must:

while(sample_available) {
    read_sample;
}

I guess we could just throw away the older sample and only generate an
input event for the last one.