stable-tracking test image

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Nov 18 10:46:08 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> We'll see how it goes, but I think we can find that the branches based
> on other branches are cheap to maintain and can generally be treated as
> standins for the branch they're based on.  Ie treat a maintained
> andy-tracking or balaji-tracking as stable-tracking-with-pending-upstream.

Let's say we hit a PMU problem while the upstream submission is in
transit. In which branch would we fix it ? Seems a bit wasteful to do
it in code that's already known to be obsolete. Also, we might end up
with people using either branch (perhaps by proxy), which ought to be
confusing.

> Since we will hopefully eventually have several pending upstream patches
> we need a way to deal with it generally, leaving stable-tracking clean
> and ready for them coming back upstream is the first plan anyway.

Hmm, but there will be conflicting code anyway, won't there ?

I can see that you may want to keep a branch with the upstream changes
that gets frozen at the time of submission, so that one can later diff
against it to see if the changes have mutated on their round-trip or if
we've made significant changes since then.