Openmoko Bug #2135: write kernel crash message somewhere where it can be retrieved after reboot?

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at docs.openmoko.org
Wed Nov 26 15:59:12 CET 2008

#2135: write kernel crash message somewhere where it can be retrieved after
reboot?
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lindi            |          Owner:  openmoko-kernel
     Type:  enhancement      |         Status:  new
Component:  System Software  |        Version:  unspecified
 Severity:  normal           |       Keywords:
 Haspatch:  0                |      Blockedby:
Estimated:                   |    Patchreview:
 Blocking:                   |   Reproducible:
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment(by werner):

 For example, just a couple of months ago, Fedora considered it pretty
 much alive:
 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel/kdump

 The kernel-side functionality is old, so that's why you don't read much
 about it these days. The magic is in the user space you use with this.

 However, I wonder if kdump may not be a bit too much overkill for our
 small devices. Also, a simple buffer in a reserved RAM area would be
 more reliable for just keeping messages. kdump was designed for doing
 real crash dumps on big servers, with kernel state analysis and all
 the bells and whistles.

--
Ticket URL: <https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2135#comment:5>
docs.openmoko.org <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/>