new kernel developer and preparation for upstream merge

Nelson Castillo nelsoneci at
Thu Oct 2 20:40:20 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Werner Almesberger <werner at> wrote:
> Balaji Rao is joining Openmoko as a new kernel developer who will help
> with the upstream merge. Welcome, Balaji !

Hello Werner, Andy, Balaji and friends :-)

I'd love to start helping you with this effort. I've developed basic
drivers before and I hope to learn a lot of things soon (advanced git,
how to manage lots of patches, openmoko drivers). I wonder what is the
best way to get started (I will have a few hours (2 <= hours <= 5 )
per day this month).

The following task seems good to get started. What do you think?

What I like from this task is that I will get familiar with the
Openmoko-specific kernel options and when something doesn't compile I
will start exploring the  code, finding out why things break and so

> - make sure the code still compiles if individual config options are
>  disables or enable. I'd suggest to try all our options, none of our
>  options, walk through the list of out options and enable/disable
>  them one at a time, and finally try random combinations. This
>  should be automated, of course.

Best regards,