preparing pcf50633 for upstream

Balaji Rao balaji at raobalaji.com
Mon Oct 6 00:17:19 CEST 2008

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:25:35 +0200
"andrzej zaborowski" <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/9/27 Balaji Rao <balaji at raobalaji.com>:
> > On Friday 26 September 2008 11:55:57 am Werner Almesberger wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> >> These are quite drastic changes. The PCF50633 driver has grown into
> >> being the "GTA02 schematics sheet 3" driver over time, so there's
> >> now quite a bit to untangle.
> >>

> > Yes, one thing I noticed was that the pcf50633 driver works only
> > with one instance of the hardware present. I was working to remove
> > that limitation. I've used i2c_board_info from within mach-gta02.c
> > and changed the pcf50633 i2c_client driver to "new style".
> >
> > I'll begin looking into the other problems you mentioned.
> >
> > One problem now is that I'm not able to build stable-upstream. I see
> > a lot of errors and warnings related to pwm and fiq (Btw, what is
> > pwm and fiq ? - I'm not able to find any decent explanation
> > anywhere). Here are the build messages. Can anyone tell me what's
> > wrong ? One thing I've noticed is that the include/asm-arm/
> > directory no longer contains machine specific includes. I believe
> > they have been moved into the arch/asm/arm/mach-xxxx/include
> > directory ? Is this the cause of
>
> I built last week's stable-tracking, there are various issues with it
> but it boots.  I had to do the following manually:
>
> ln -s arch-s3c2410 include/asm-arm/arch
>
> Normally this was done by Makefile, I don't yet know why that changed.
>  Beside the mtdblock issues I see there's also a funny problem with
> time running ~6x slower on my gta02.  I already checked that it's not
> related to the dynticks patch.

If I'm not wrong, by the "dynticks" patch you talk about your patch that
uses CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ.

When I was going through that code today, I saw that CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ
is not there in any Kconfig file. So I was wondering if your code in
stable-tracking was being compiled at all.. Please clarify.

I guess we should be using CONFIG_NO_HZ ? I'm not sure..

	- Balaji