preparing pcf50633 for upstream

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:05:40 CEST 2008

2008/10/6 Balaji Rao <balaji at raobalaji.com>:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:25:35 +0200
> "andrzej zaborowski" <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/9/27 Balaji Rao <balaji at raobalaji.com>:
>> > On Friday 26 September 2008 11:55:57 am Werner Almesberger wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > Yes, one thing I noticed was that the pcf50633 driver works only
>> > with one instance of the hardware present. I was working to remove
>> > that limitation. I've used i2c_board_info from within mach-gta02.c
>> > and changed the pcf50633 i2c_client driver to "new style".
>> >
>> > I'll begin looking into the other problems you mentioned.
>> >
>> > One problem now is that I'm not able to build stable-upstream. I see
>> > a lot of errors and warnings related to pwm and fiq (Btw, what is
>> > pwm and fiq ? - I'm not able to find any decent explanation
>> > anywhere). Here are the build messages. Can anyone tell me what's
>> > wrong ? One thing I've noticed is that the include/asm-arm/
>> > directory no longer contains machine specific includes. I believe
>> > they have been moved into the arch/asm/arm/mach-xxxx/include
>> > directory ? Is this the cause of
>>
>> I built last week's stable-tracking, there are various issues with it
>> but it boots.  I had to do the following manually:
>>
>> ln -s arch-s3c2410 include/asm-arm/arch
>>
>> Normally this was done by Makefile, I don't yet know why that changed.
>>  Beside the mtdblock issues I see there's also a funny problem with
>> time running ~6x slower on my gta02.  I already checked that it's not
>> related to the dynticks patch.
>
> If I'm not wrong, by the "dynticks" patch you talk about your patch that
> uses CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ.
>
> When I was going through that code today, I saw that CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ
> is not there in any Kconfig file. So I was wondering if your code in
> stable-tracking was being compiled at all.. Please clarify.

Right... it turns out CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ was completely removed from
the upstream kernels at 2.6.21, but openmoko still used it, so I added
dynticks support using CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ...

Upstream the whole sys timer framework was replaced by what now is
clocksources and clockevents frameworks and seemingly s3c24xx was the
last architecture to not be converted yet.  I submitted a patch today
that attempts this:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-arm-kernel&m=122321495315232&w=2

Hopefully we won't need our timer code anymore after this.

Cheers