Best way to use pcf50633

Balaji Rao balajirrao at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 17 11:46:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

I was wondering what was the best way to have communication between
mach-gta02.c and pcf50633 driver. This came to my mind considering that
we need to move functions such as configure_pmu_for_charger and many
more to platform specific code.

The approach followed currently is to use a callback in pcf5063
platform_data that is called to signify certain events of importance
(atleast for us).

For those subsystems of pcf50633, which have kernel API, (the
regulators for example), the details are going to be abstracted away
from mach-gta02.c, which is good.

Now we can't hope to do it for all the subdevices out there. For those
like MBC etc, its not even practical to provide an abstraction and
pointless too.

As I understand mach-gta02.c and such similar board specific sources in
the kernel know exactly about every piece of hardware that's wired to it
and it wouldn't have to work with any other device, ever. So, there's
nothing wrong in using the pcf50633 at a register level from within
mach-gta02.c.

Please point me to examples that are in favour or opposition with
this idea. I really want to know how to deal with such devices from
within platform specific code.

	- Balaji