[UPSTREAM] Move backlight handling out of pcf50633 driver

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sun Oct 19 20:45:05 CEST 2008

Balaji Rao wrote:
>> It is unfortunate, but there are still some very high profile software
>> stacks that assume brightness ranges from 0-255. A smaller amount that
>> expects 0-100. These will get fixed over time, but it is nice to be able
>> to specify an arbitrary max value in the kernel and have it scale
>> appropriately. I can live with just making it a max of 255, though, as
>> that is what I'm dealing with here.
>>

> Ah, ok. Making it take 256 values hurts none but helps many. If no one
> objects to this, I'll go ahead and do it.

I find it amazing that nobody actually checks with the existing public
distros that currently actually run on the GTA01 and GTA02 devices.

I guess one can take solace in the thought that this interface change
will ensure that EVERYTHING that currently runs will probably break --
at least that's fair, right?

My thought (not that it counts for much here) is that until the person
who is WANTING TO CHANGE AN EXISTING ABI makes the effort to check what
the impact is on the EXISTING and RUNNING distros and software for the
device, NO CHANGE should be made.

So, go ahead and change it -- but don't be surprised if it pisses off
yet more unhappy and frustrated users who have written code and expect
(reasonably) that it should run on a newer kernel, especially when the
newer kernel is just a minor update....

(Oh -- and perhaps someone can clarify why any user of the GTA01 or
GTA02 cares about this "very high profile software stack" more than they
care about the software that they currently run on the device???  That's
hardly a justification for ABI breakage, especially when these so-called
"very high profile software stacks" are not named.)

Once again, that attitude of STICK IT TO THE USERS!   C'mon Openmoko --
DON'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!!

Mike (mwester)