Openmoko kernel change process (Was: [UPSTREAM] Move backlight handling out of pcf50633 driver)

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Oct 22 05:28:57 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> Userspace needs to solve any broken backlight code with hardcoded
> constants in anyway I am sure you will agree if you muse about that.

I have mused. Yes.  Userspace that _hardcodes constants_ needs to solve
_broken backlight code_.

And with that in mind, along with the new facts, let me just state that
if in the first emails of this lengthy thread, Openmoko or Google had
just stated

"We need to make this change in order to accommodate Android's _broken
backlight code_ that _hardcodes_ the _constant_ 255"

then we would have avoided a lengthy and painful email argument.

> I scratch my bald head when I read some of the things written
> here lately.

Scratching doesn't work - I've tried that already.  Lately, instead, I
throw up my arms in despair over this stuff.  Sometimes I wonder why I
even bother.  And this thread is an example of that.

(You know, even a private email from Sean McNeil, or from someone at
Openmoko would have been polite, and could have avoided a whole lot of
pointless discussion.)

Have a nice day!

Mike (mwester)