Garbled serial line

Ben Leslie benno at
Wed Oct 29 01:16:04 CET 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Werner Almesberger <werner at> wrote:
> Ben Leslie wrote:
>> Assuming it is the cable, do you know if OpenMoko supplies
>> replacement cables?
> I'd suggest you have a look at
> Sometimes, disconnecting and then reconnecting the debug board
> cable (at either end) can help. A bad contact there can really
> cause all kinds of weird issues, some of which you'd never
> expect to be caused by a bad contact.

Yeah, tried that a few times :) It does actually seem to make some
difference. After trying to clean the contacts and reseat very
carefully I was able to get more characters but it was still mostly

> The mismatched bit rate theory is interesting, though. If
> reconnecting the cable (may need a few tries) doesn't help and
> if you have access to an oscilloscope, gathering the signal on
> TX/RX (pins 1 and 2 of J10 on the debug board) may be useful.

It is amazing how few oscilloscopes they have in hotel rooms these
days, and the concierge just gives me a  blank stare when I ask to use
his :)

Once I'm back in the lab I will have a look.