State of the OpenMoko wlan driver

Andy Green andy at
Thu Sep 18 10:26:11 CEST 2008

| Hello,
| we are planning to use openmokos for meshnet experiments (OLSR for
| and I have a few questions about the capabilities of the OpenMoko wlan
| driver.
| a) I heared the driver supports adhoc interfaces, is this correct ?

I also heard it is supported, I do not know status of it.

AR6001 is fullmac device, so there is a big chunk of closed firmware
between us and the hardware that regulates what we can do with it.

| b) If yes, does the driver support promiscuous mode (can I hear adhoc
| send between two other devices in range) ?
| c) Does the driver support monitor mode with radiotap header or is there
| another way to get the signal strength of other wlan adhoc stations in
| range ?

AIUI there is no monitor mode support, and that's down to the closed
firmware.  There has been no update of AR6001 firmware since before
production and Atheros keep the firmware update utility private, so I
would not hold your breath.

What IFF_PROMISC gets you in adhoc context I don't know either, but
unless it passes it to the firmware the answer would be "your own
traffic" I guess.