State of the OpenMoko wlan driver

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Thu Sep 18 17:14:55 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> I proposed to push WLAN driver into modules a couple of weeks ago, here
> and on devel; it's something we need to do for a few reasons including
> being able to turn off WLAN better and have it recognized again when we
> turn it on.
>
> But it needs userspace world coordination, enhancing ifup and ifdown or
> whatever it is we use so they modprobe and modprobe -r, and control
> power through /sys.
>
> Nobody replied from userspace side.
>
> In this case, it means that instead of reboot, you can presumably ifdown
> / ifup and be able to connect again.

Yes I read this in the mail but since I'm not an official man of
userspace, I didn't reply but I thought that it was really needed thing
(also to workaround the issue said above about re-connecting to
different networks).

I guess that changing the if-up/down scripts for wireless interface is
easy like adding a line to it.

So imho, you should do it. Updating the userspace utilities is an easy
work. I would have replied to the old thread since I didn't see any
update in this front, but fortunately something is coming up again...

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/