Openmoko kernel situation

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Sat Apr 4 12:04:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:29:21PM -0700, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> > According to my sources, Openmoko will continue to support kernel
> > maintenance and contribution to upstream. Nelson will be in charge of
> > this.
>
> "In charge" means that now I will be doing time-consuming things (such
> as help preparing patches for upstream). Now we will need more help
> from the community for patch review. I will also apply community
> patches and get the blame if things break.

   What about U-Boot? For example, I posted a patch to make U-Boot able to
load kernels from above 4 GB on SDHC cards:

https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2009-March/009573.html

   I will, time permitting, post more patches for things like

 - automatic kernel size detection for NAND flash.
 - reiserfs support (just needs to be enabled, AFAIK).
 - reducing the time you need to hold POWER to get to the menu.

   Also, recent test results
https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-March/044553.html
suggest that it is probably possible to bring up the boot menu with reduced
backlight even when only 100 mA is available.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen