Openmoko kernel situation

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at
Sat Apr 4 12:04:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:29:21PM -0700, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> > According to my sources, Openmoko will continue to support kernel
> > maintenance and contribution to upstream. Nelson will be in charge of
> > this.
> "In charge" means that now I will be doing time-consuming things (such
> as help preparing patches for upstream). Now we will need more help
> from the community for patch review. I will also apply community
> patches and get the blame if things break.

   What about U-Boot? For example, I posted a patch to make U-Boot able to
load kernels from above 4 GB on SDHC cards:

   I will, time permitting, post more patches for things like

 - automatic kernel size detection for NAND flash.
 - reiserfs support (just needs to be enabled, AFAIK).
 - reducing the time you need to hold POWER to get to the menu.

   Also, recent test results
suggest that it is probably possible to bring up the boot menu with reduced
backlight even when only 100 mA is available.

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen