Wireless DHCP issues

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Fri Feb 6 00:46:44 CET 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Hmm, I don't have an IPW2200. http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
> says that is its monitor mode has some limitations, but I couldn't
> find any details.

Who knows... I'm using also an injection patch that improves also the
monitor mode capabilities.

> I'll give my collection of mac80211 cards a try.

This would be good ;)

>> If you want I can send you my .pcap dump taken with airodump, but it
>> basically says the same that you can figure from the dhcp tools logs.
>
> If you could mail me the capture file of the session with udhcpc,
> that may be useful. Perhaps there's some indication why it didn't
> like the first two offers.

Ok, I'll send you.

>>  - There are issues with the DHCP and wpa that unfortunately I wasn't
>>    able to study.
>
> Hmm, Mickey told me today that there's a discussion about DHCP
> problems with FSO MS5 on the support list. From what I gather there,
> it might be DHCP racing with association. (Plus udhcpc doing things
> that increase the confusion.) But that doesn't seem to be the problem
> in your case since you're running things manually anyway.

Exactly.

>> I should find an open AP that doesn't give me an IP
>
> So the DHCP failure also happens without encryption ?

Yes it happens... I got this in my pub, as said at the university (but I
don't really know wich AP was causing this, since there are hundreads)
and in other places I don't remember...

>> (one is at my pub,
>> but, you know... I can't go there to monitor wireless packages :P),
>
> Hmm, why not ? Sounds like a comfty enough setting for doing a bit of
> network debugging and/or a good excuse for spending more time at the
> pub ;-) If you're concered about other people's privacy, you can
> always filter by MAC address.

No this is not the problem... The main issue is that I hardly would be
able to support the insults of my friends (not exactly tech-people) :D.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/