Status NAND Hardware ECC

Sven Rebhan odinshorse at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:40:41 CET 2009

Hello Matt, hello Werner,

I'm aware that hardware ECC is supported in the kernel. My question is
more, what would be needed to actually use it. From your comments I
see that the problem is the way our rootfs was flashed. Is this
correct?

If yes, then are there any plans to "fix" dfu-util to set the ECC
field in a compatible way?
What would be a good transition process?
Is there a bitfield or similar one could set in nand to flag which ECC
algorithm was used? The kernel could then autodecide if it should
fallback to the currently used algorithm.

The reason why I'm asking is that our way to decide which ECC to use
differs from the upstream way and is furthermore redundant to the
config option in the kernel. I would like to cleanup mach-gta02 a
bit...

Sven