Isn't Wifi supposed to be off by default?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 15 23:43:42 CET 2009

I wrote:
> Still high, but much better. Okay, now that WLAN module has a few
> questions to answer ...

If I remove the module and feed power into VDD_3V3, it draws about
3mA. That's more than I expected, but nothing like the excess seen
before.

If I feed power into VDD_3V3 of a GTA02 board held in nRESET=0,
without WLAN, about 80mA get reverse-fed into IO_3V3.

The current jumps to about 135mA if the WLAN module is present.
Shorting WLAN_NRESET or SDIO_CLK to GND doesn't make a noticeable
difference.

I tried two other WLAN modules, one with the old firmware and
another that should be from the A5 era, and they draw even more
power when in the system.

Next try: power into VDD_1V8 and VCCA as well. Supplying power
to VDD_1V8 makes consumption on VDD_3V3+VCCA drop to nothingness,
while the module draws a steady 80uA on VDD_1V8.

I didn't measure VCCA separately, but it doesn't seem to draw more
than a fraction of VDD_3V3.

So the module is doing fine in vitrio, but something isn't right
in vivo.