usb connection crashes Windows

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:37:44 CET 2009

Hi,

Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> writes:
> | But after an update (and it was probably after flashing 2.6.28
> | kernel), now as soon as I plug the Neo on usb, Windows XP immediatly
> | reboots. I tried all I could to remove the driver but I still cannot
> | connect my phone to windows....
>
> Wild guess is USB Ethernet / RNDIS changes in the kernel... another way
> it could conceivably do bad things is if somehow 1A charging mode was
> enabled, and it's crashing the PC, but I doubt that's it.

I confirm it's a kernel issue. Windows RNDIS is definetely buggy, but
the kernel driver is wrong also. See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/11998 . After
applying this patch as well as the one mentioned in the thread later
and the second patch from this series, i can confirm that my
co-worker's windows machine no longer crashes. Networking still
doesn't work though.

HTH
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com