Screen flickering and tearing

Peter Strapp peter at strapp.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 19:22:57 CET 2009

Hi all,

At Wolfgang's request I'm reposting this in the kernel list.

I have come across what appears to be quite a nasty little bug. After a while the right hand side of the display begins to tear and flicker to the right of objects. I have only noticed this in recent FSO builds using 2.6.28 kernels. I haven't found a reliable way to reproduce this, though each time it has occured shortly after coming out of suspend.

The only other time I've seen this kind of tearing effect was when rotating the screen using xrandr before all the kinks were sorted out (6 months ago).

http://www.strapp.co.uk/files/tearing.png (It isn't a bad quality image, that is how how it appears)
http://www.strapp.co.uk/files/nos.mpg (This IS a bad quality movie but you can just make out the jittering next to the house icon)

I'm fairly certain that it isn't a hardware problem. I'd like to hear whether anyone else has seen this before.

Peter.