Screen flickering and tearing

Andy Green andy at
Mon Jan 26 19:45:27 CET 2009

| Hi all,
| At Wolfgang's request I'm reposting this in the kernel list.
| I have come across what appears to be quite a nasty little bug. After
a while the right hand side of the display begins to tear and flicker to
the right of objects. I have only noticed this in recent FSO builds
using 2.6.28 kernels. I haven't found a reliable way to reproduce this,
though each time it has occured shortly after coming out of suspend.
| The only other time I've seen this kind of tearing effect was when
rotating the screen using xrandr before all the kinks were sorted out (6
months ago).
| (It isn't a bad quality
image, that is how how it appears)
| (This IS a bad quality movie but
you can just make out the jittering next to the house icon)
| I'm fairly certain that it isn't a hardware problem. I'd like to hear
whether anyone else has seen this before.

This looks like trouble with the Glamo internal memory.

There's another open bug with one guy who gets heavy noise on Glamo
which is also related to internal memory communication problems.

In both his and your cases I guess this is because your Glamo / Memory
can't cope with the 89MHz memory clock we set now on 2.6.28 kernels.

When I'm through with this rebase from Hell I'll add a module param to
allow testing back at 80MHz, which is used on 2.6.24.  There's a couple
of other things changed and we can also try those on devices showing
this symptom until we figure out which changes make it show up on those