trying Qi

Andy Green andy at
Fri Jan 30 12:47:56 CET 2009

| Hi,
| I would like to try switching to Qi.
| - There is no up-to-date release binary ? Latest I found is 18/12/08
| on
| And since even the wiki page mentions
| features available after 18/01/09, I do not know if other infos in the
| wiki apply to this older Qi version.

That version is pretty much complete.

| - Qi tries the 3 first primary partitions, but does not recognize FAT.
| So if my first partition is FAT, it will try to boot on 2nd 3rd and
| 4th, or only 2-3 ?
| Anyway in my case my 4th partition is an extended one....

It'll try 1, 2 and 3 only.

| - is it possible to boot on an non-primary partition ?

No it only looks at 1, 2 and 3.

| At least leaving my kernel on a primary partition but rootfs on the
| extended partition : using boot parameter root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 ? ( as
| mentioned here )

That's not "the Qi way"... it wants to mount the filesystem where it got
the kernel from as the rootfs.  That eliminates all the futzing around
with root= and difficulties updating kernel and modules in a rootfs
where just the kernel is disconnected from the rootfs.

| - via Aux button to swap the booting partition, can I force NAND boot
| ? (with the version I tried, I did not manage to do this)

If it doesn't find a kernel it likes from SD Card, it will fall back to
trying to boot one from NAND anyway.