trying Qi

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 30 16:52:53 CET 2009

Andy Green wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing the point but there doesn't seem to be any way to
> create the userspace, just a couple of scripts.

It uses myroot for this. small.myroot tells it what to put there.
(Yes, it's really that simple ;-)

> I think for boot menu case, basically no userspace is needed except the
> menu app and any libs it needs if it isn't built static.

Yes, that's exactly how I think it should be done. The userspace
in "smallsys" is more for demonstration purposes. The "look, it
does something" kind of thing :-)

> How big does the kernel alone build with that config?

If I disable initramfs, it's 0.88 MB. I stopped ripping out
things when the build problems reached the 90% of additional
effort for 10% better results point. We should continue this
cleanup at some point in time, though. Any such build
problems are real bugs after all.