Proposal for further openmoko kernel development

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Wed Jul 29 17:28:23 CEST 2009

Nelson Castillo wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen<lars at metafoo.de> wrote:
> (cut)
>
>> Nelson would probably regain his position as the "gate keeper", who as a
>> maintainer decides what goes into the machine trees.
>>

> I don't think this would be a good thing. First it's not OK to
> centralize the decisions and second I do not really feel comfortable
> deciding what goes and what does not when I don't really understand
> what is going on :-) For many of the patches that come to the list all
> I can say is "thank you". Someone who knows more about the Linux
> kernel should be a better fit  for this task. For instance Werner but
> he doesn't like the centralized approach either.

It's in no way about centralizing the decisions. I guess people would
start to complain if you started merging crap or reject good patches.
It's about that somebody has to do the merging and put all the pieces
together. But well let's see how much this is really needed if we would
use topgit.
>> I do have patches against 2.6.31 for full gta02 support which could be used
>> to initialize the trees to get them functional.
>>

> Oh! Where do you have them? It would be nice to check them to see if
> we can get a few more patches upstream. Russell said we have about 15
> more days of merge window so this weekend might be a good opportunity
> to send missing patches.

As far as I know the only patch missing to let .31 boot on the the
freerunner is [1].
> I hope to check 2.6.31 status this weekend. If someone has made 2.6.31
> boot please report and let us know.

Works fine :)

> Regards.

- Lars