[RFC] pcf50633-charger: Revert ad99a335ca77d81173140187fe20a946b0c309af, 3e96d0a35a3a1e2c7cfef77ec47a63d1f61467dc and 819eb8196422f5fbe19690c903093ccc37519227

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 22:08:34 CEST 2009

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:29:08AM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
>> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk> writes:
>> >     pcf50633_introduce_charging_restart_interval.patch
>> >     Kill automatic charging restart to retain manual control.
>> >     Manually restart charger periodically
>>
>> I'm currently working at exactly this topic, testing/fixing all this
>> and other stuff along the way. Would you mind waiting for my patches,
>> i'm going to post them today in the evening?
>
>    Sure, but a couple of points:

FYI all patches already posted on the ML for review.

> 1) This should definitely be adjustable (including enable/disable) from
>    userspace such as by sysfs entry.

Sorry, i don't see how we benefit from that. Trickle charging LiIon
_is_ bad. Everybody agrees on that. If you want to make sure your
battery is really fully charged before a long trip, well, unplug and
plug again, that will trigger charge. I can see how a sysfs node to
trigger charge might be useful, but doing it automatically is not in
any way appealing, imho.

> 2) Make sure to put the PMU back into automatic mode before suspend and
>    shutdown.

I don't think we should ever disable the bit that enables automatic
charger reactivation.

> 3) Consider disabling kernel managed charging restart by default since it
>    will shorten battery life and the situation that triggered it has more
>    to do with the Neos than with the PMU or the batteries.

Given what i wrote earlier, not applicable.

I'm ready for discussion though.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com