Freerunner and netconsole

Paulo Marques pmarques at grupopie.com
Tue Mar 3 14:04:47 CET 2009

Sven Rebhan wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hi,

> hs someone sucessfully tested netconsole with the Freerunner?
> It would be a nice-to-have thing for people who want to play around
> with the kernel and don't own a Debug board (like me). I already
> tested the console, but didn't get a single char out of usb0 on my
> host side...

Netconsole needs special support from the network device to do "polled"
accesses that allow the device to send packets with interrupts disabled.
This is needed to make sure that even panic messages get through.

Due to the asynchronous nature of usb and its layers, I don't think you
can implement a polled interface on a "usb network device"...

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"This version has many new and good features. Sadly, the good ones are
not new and the new ones are not good."