Freerunner and netconsole

Andy Green andy at
Thu Mar 5 17:15:33 CET 2009

| 2009/3/5 Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at>:
|> I added a patch to that
|> logs all kernel messages to RAM and retrieves them after
|> reboot. Together with a watchdog this has been very useful for my
|> limited kernel debugging needs.
| Wow this is cool stuff... Maybe I'll give it a try. However I don't
| understand yet, how the RAM survives a battery+usb removal (necessary,
| as the phone doesn't shutdown on power-button and I have no other
| access...)?
| Could you please elaborate a bit on this!?

That's what he meant by watchdog, it'd reset the thing if it froze; you
can select to reset after panic as well.

If that's not enough, this is a very interesting article about DRAM
rentention without refresh or power:

In the end when we have a backup rootfs / menu rootfs that's working, it
would be cool if Qi can show errors or previous boot failure dumps like
tis by starting the backup fs and let people read, scroll through or
save the errors.