SDIO WiFi Driver Development Questions

dongas dongas86 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:49:37 CET 2009

2009/3/5 Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org>:

> As far as I know, it isn't. The issue is that Atheros apparently
> change the interface between the kernel and the firmware for each
> major revision.

It seems Atheros has done a unkind thing to user.

> I think the news are worse for you: if your firmware is 1.1 and if
> 1.1 is buggier than 1.3, you'll find it unusable as a general WLAN
> solution. If you're in a controlled environment, i.e., if you can
> select what access points and what protocols are used, then 1.1
> may work for you.
>
> Also, if 1.1 is actually less buggy than 1.3 or 2.0, then it may
> work well as a general WLAN solution.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'll take them into account and disccuss with my guys.
And, is the Moko's ar6000 driver in 2.6.29 compatible with both
firmware 1.3 and 2.0?
Which version of firmware do you think is better?
I'll select one of that.

> No, the whole stack has been removed. This means that also
> s3c24xx_hcd is gone.

Since there're two sdio slots on my board, one for uSD ,the other for
SDIO WiFi card,
Do you mean that with linux sdio stack in kernel 2.6.29, both the SD
card and SDIO WiFi card can use the same HCD driver?
(If my memory is corect, i remember in Codetelligence's Embedded SDIO
Driver Kit Help Document, it is said there should be different hcd
drivers for each slot. Is this changed in new linux sdio stack?)
If yes, is there any special requirments for sdio when devleopping
that hcd driver for both sd card and sdio wifi card?
Is it that once the SD card works well , the SDIO WiFi card should
also works well with the same HCD driver?

> Hmm, you mean drivers/mmc/host/* ? :-)

Yes, i want to find some reference code for developping the hcd driver
for sdio wifi card.
Is s3cmci.c in drivers/mmc/host/ in kernel 2.6.29 a good reference?
BTW, do you know if there's some documents talking about the new
SD/MMC core subsystem with sdio stack intergrated?
I did a lot of google , however , still could not found any.

You're a good man.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
Dongas