[RFC AR6000 hif patch] Clean up code and do_irq on a deferrable worker

Michael Trimarchi trimarchi at gandalf.sssup.it
Sat Mar 21 09:41:15 CET 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Michael Trimarchi wrote:
>
>> Little clean up and move the do_irq on a deferrable work
>>

> Hmm, did the current solution cause any problems ? A workqueue is
> a heavy thing, so that's generally not what you want to invoke on
> a per packet basis.
>
> Besides, please don't call a workqueue "tasklet". That's an
> entirely different mechanism. Tasklets are orders of magnitude
> more light-weight than workqueues, and are in fact appropriate
> for network traffic.

I know the difference from a tasklet and a workqueue, thanks :)
> Did you measure what your change does to throughput, maximum
> latency, and CPU load during transfers ? I think you may find
> some surprises, particularly when it comes to latency :-)

I can do it, maybe I will try it next days. Do you have a test
case that you use in your mesaure?

I find another panic in the rfkill code, very simple to
reproduce:

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8; do echo state > 0; echo > state 1; done

What do you think about the other patches? Can I apply to the
ioctl.c code?

Thanks for your comment.

Michael