kernel logo / om-bootsplash - do not override boot logo with early printk's

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Fri May 15 10:04:45 CEST 2009

Hey,

I noticed the openmoko-logo within the om-kernel-tree
(http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/video/logo/logo_openmoko_clut224.ppm;hb=andy-tracking)
as ppm-file (480x500 px in size) which replaces the well known little
tux while booting.

I tried this kind of bootsplash out, unfortunately during the boot the
first (and only the first) text-lines, produced by printk, scroll _over_
the image (bottom-top) which results in a not really nice looking
splashscreen.

Took a look at the framebuffer source and found the responsible code in
linux-2.6.29/drivers/video/console/fbcon.c - line 581++
The weird thing is, this code seems to do really just this - overriding
some lines of the logo.

I attached a patch which removes the responsible code-fragments.

However I'm still interested in what this code is good for.

Greetings,

mirko