kernel logo / om-bootsplash - do not override boot logo with early printk's

Mirko Vogt lists at
Fri May 15 10:04:45 CEST 2009

I noticed the openmoko-logo within the om-kernel-tree
as ppm-file (480x500 px in size) which replaces the well known little
tux while booting.

I tried this kind of bootsplash out, unfortunately during the boot the
first (and only the first) text-lines, produced by printk, scroll _over_
the image (bottom-top) which results in a not really nice looking

Took a look at the framebuffer source and found the responsible code in
linux-2.6.29/drivers/video/console/fbcon.c - line 581++
The weird thing is, this code seems to do really just this - overriding
some lines of the logo.

I attached a patch which removes the responsible code-fragments.

However I'm still interested in what this code is good for.

This email address is used for mailinglist purposes only.
Non-mailinglist emails will be dropped automatically.
If you want to get in contact with me personally, please mail to:
mirko.vogt <at> nanl <dot> de