Boot Time Optimization

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at
Wed Jan 6 18:49:03 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:13:03PM +0100, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> This is with gzip. I still have to try it with an uncompressed kernel and a
> lzma compressed one.

LZO seems to be the fastest compression method it saves about 0.6 seconds.

> I would
> like to try to statically link the qi-bootmenu app to see if that makes a
> difference size/performance wise.

In the meantime I patched tslib so that it's filter plugins are embedded
into it's main library.

Configured eina and evas to do the same and statically linked qi-bootmenu.
The resulting binary is about ~1.1M I should try to link it against
because that's the only library that is used by multiple apps (busybox /
kexec / dropbear).

It now takes about 7.3 seconds from power on to the menu. This is with
kernel boot messages enabled (disabling them should give some speed up).

 Marc Andre Tanner >< >< GPG key: CF7D56C0