kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:41:15 CET 2010

2010/10/7 Gennady Kupava <gb at bsdmn.com>:
> 1. debug impact is huge - 10x in open/close test, 13% on select, 10x on
> signal hadling, 2x on exec, 2x on fork, 1,8x on context switches. 50% on
> pipe latency, 30% on local TCP, 30% on pipes. system feel much faster.
>
> 2. preemption disable: smaller scale speedups, but also seem very
> noticeable.

I can confirm that various operations are much speedier now, including
booting my Debian. This is quite awesome. What is not as awesome that
distributions etc. never questioned especially the debug features
being enabled :) But that's understandable of course given how much
stuff there is generally that only one person is actively dealing with
etc.

Could someone with access rights disable debug and pre-empt features
in gta02_moredrivers_defconfig in git.openmoko.org? I think wrong
stuff there leads to the information not spreading widely enough.

-Timo