kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups/ debugging

Gennady Kupava gb at bsdmn.com
Sat Jan 9 23:32:33 CET 2010

В Сбт, 09/01/2010 в 22:25 +0100, Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann пишет:

> > hi, paul
>
> > i still think that debugging options should be disabled unless we have
> > strong reason to enable them, so can you (or any other kernel developer)
> > as kernel developer name features useful for you and why users should
> > have them in daily usage. my initial mail were about that. please feel
> > free to ask me to help anyhow, here or in irc.
> I am *not* a kernel developer... though I understand why it makes a lot
> of sense to have debugging enabled. Most of the time the real users will
> hit a bug... and then can give usefull bug reports to the kernel guys
> *if* debugging is enabled. On the other hand I understand (and agree)
> that we want to get every speedup that is possible on our beloved device :)
>
> IMO it makes a lot of sense to find out the single debug configs that
> add overhead and just remove those.

with Paul we've finally discuss the plan to change defconfig.

>I am *not* a kernel developer...

so, I failed to get attention of kernel developers to this problem :)

> Most of the time the real users will hit a bug...

we have 1 fix in branch all users use since... august i think. and this
depends on how much we pay for particular option.

> IMO it makes a lot of sense to find out the single debug configs that
> add overhead and just remove those.

I just propose to look from other side - identify options we need, as
this is debugging options, and enable them. if nobody knows why we need
some option - no reason to have it enabled.

>On the other hand I understand (and agree) that we want to get every
> speedup that is possible on our beloved device :)

mrmoku, just try kernel without debugging and you'll understand why i m
so inistent, and why people even start blaming openmoko that they didn't
do that before, forgetting for the moment that openmoko is only reason
why we have something to discuss :)

gennady