kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups/ debugging

Thomas White taw at bitwiz.org.uk
Sun Jan 10 21:27:30 CET 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 01:52:22 -0300
Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org> wrote:

> Related to this, it would be great if the GTA02 kernel's text
> console had Glamo-accelerated scrolling. A long time ago, I
> thought adding such a block move would be a nice late night
> project, but I failed to elicit even the slightest response from
> the Glamo. Some time later, Harald mentioned that he was giving it
> a try as well, but apparently without much success either. Maybe
> third time's lucky ?

I thought about doing this too.  DRM gives us the ideal platform for it
because the command queue stuff is already in the kernel waiting to be
used - you just need to feed it the right commands (which can be copied
from the Xorg driver).  It certainly be nice to have (even though we
hopefully don't spend a lot of time showing the console), but I'm
suffering a lot for time at the moment. It'd be a great project for
someone who wants to learn a bit about Glamo (or graphics acceleration
in general) - no low-level scariness or NDA required, I promise...

Tom

--
Thomas White <taw at bitwiz.org.uk>