ARM FCSE - random programs segfaults

Martix at
Fri Mar 26 15:16:58 CET 2010

I've compiled latest 2.6.29-andy-tracking kernel with ARM Fast Context
Switch Extension patch [1], using gta02_moredrivers_defconfig kernel
options. I've tested this kernel with latest SHR-unstable. System with
FCSE enabled is really faster. However some (mostly Python)
applications randomly segfaults during loading[3]. But when
application loads properly, it runs rock stable[4].

Seems, it isn't related to 32 MB virtual memory limit and best effort
mode, because applications running above this limit runs properly.

I also tested FCSE on Qt Moko v16 with nodebug v17 kernel, but Qte
always restarts when loading desktop.

ARM FSCE support is already included in Android on FreeRunner
distributon kernel. I like to see this included also in Openmoko
distributions kernels, when will be stable and ready.

Martin 'Martix' Holec