[Qtmoko] qtmoko v28 (was: HZ value change groundings)

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 27 10:05:06 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 26 October 2010 17:48:30 Gennady Kupava wrote:

> Now i can use this tree as basis for any experiments/fixes as it seem
> has all essential patches I used.

Nice

> 1. (?) I can't shutdown device via power-button menu. Poweroff from ssh
> works just fine.

What is the problem? I can press POWER for 2s and it brings me to the power
menu where i can restart/power off and it works.

> 2. (ubifs?) Almost each time i am doing unclean shutdown (including
> after p.1) something weird happens - it resets my theme, show me green
> welcome screen, but do not ask for calibration. So i bet some files
> geting lost/corrupted. But fs does not look corrupted. I should notice,
> once i had same thing with jffs2. I lost my messages btw. Really major
> problem, but somehow i think this is not ubifs problems. I've read on
> it's site that is it designed to handle hard-resets with adequate
> results.

Yes it's doing ubifs. JFFS2 maybe had the same problem but i have personally
never seen it. With ubifs i sometimes get the welcome screen too. It would be
interesting to explore why the welcome screen shows up. Maybe some config file
remains open during hard reset and ubifs does not like it.

> 3. (suspend) Once it didn't resume (on manual resume with power button)
> without any visible reason (it were at home). I didn't tried to ping.
> (it made me sad)

I think i hit something like this too, but very rarely.

> 4. (GSM) Once it were unable to set proper alsa(?) settings from GSM
> call which were recieved while suspend. Phone resume, show incoming call
> properly, but i were unable to hear anything. I didn't test GSM after
> that.

No idea, i get only very few calls so i havent hit it yet.

> 5. really unsure: may be also something wrong with GPS. Seem it works
> well after boot, but after resume it had problems to get fix. But same
> were in .29.

It would be nice to have application which shows GPS sattelites for debugging
this. In fact such app is already there [1] but works only with GPSD. I wanted
to modify qtopia gps api so that it provides GPSD compatible socket so that
gpsd apps like this one and e.g. tangogps can work out of the box.

You can also try to comment out agps data dumping/restoring in
/opt/qtmoko/bin/gps* scripts.

> ubifs works well i think, and overall system is very usable. For a few
> days i had to use phone in very heavy way and were completely happy how
> did it perform (expect 1 case of p.4).

I also think 2.6.34 is very usable. If there is problem it's very rare. Andy-
tracking was probably more stable, but also it's ugly mess without future from
my POV. I can keep 2.6.29 supported forever in my git, but i will probably not
do any qtmoko releases based on 2.6.29.

Regards

Radek

[1] http://github.com/radekp/qtopiagps