Current Opkg Status

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:58:51 CET 2008

Hello,

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:40:54 +0100
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:

[]

> > Finally, thanks for starting on decent embedded package manager.
> > And I hope that you considered different alternatives. For example,
> > I last time pondered idea to prototype something in Vala. I mention
> > this because I found ipkg code to be pretty dirty, and just clean
> > up of it would take effort.
>
> This is actually a great thing, but at OpenMoko we found the need to
> improve the existing package manager due to time constraints (isn't
> it always like that?).

Yes, always ;-). And my pondering was mostly of speculative manner -
I don't have plans to start on that anytime soon ;-). Because Vala
implementation wouldn't be w/o issues either. For example, it would
need be linked statically with glib, and I doubt it would be less than
500k+ monster. And after all that, it would need to make people use
such a completely new package manager, which is a task in itself. So, if
even big company selected to elaborate existing implementation, then no
little guy in sober mind would invest into that ;-).

> Personally, I'd welcome a clean start in Vala
> though...
>
> :M:

[]

--