Make the .opk as the default file extension

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 28 19:22:31 CEST 2008

Am Montag 28 Juli 2008 18:50:31 schrieb Marek Lindner:
> On Tuesday, 29. July 2008 00:36:16 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't understand that comment. You surely don't want to indicate
> > that changing the extension from .ipkg to .opkg has any effect on
> > usability whatsoever -- especially given the fact that the 'user' should
> > never see any of these extensions anyways.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your comment. You surely didn't want to indicate
> that changing an extension is worth the call for a fork. Probably you
> wanted to make it become a better project by sharing your constructive
> criticism with us. You are right - we don't need to care about future
> developers. We should avoid making it less confusing for them.

To me, it's much more confusing that the very same file format has two
different extensions than that a program .foo deals with files .bar.

Besides, do you realize the impact of this change? As Richard mentioned, it
will make a bunch of things really nasty. Plus, you are risking Poky and
OpenEmbedded no longer being able to use opkg, which would certainly be a
loss for Openmoko.

:M: