locking issues

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Thu Jun 26 14:09:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 13:41 +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Thursday 26 June 2008 13:23:33 Holger Freyther wrote:
> > Hey,
> > the following is the recipe to mess up your system.
> >
> > 1. start assassin
>
> Okay, you can simply close it. packagekitd will keep the lock open. Killing
> packagekitd allows one to use opkg again.

Yes, it's important to note that the locking allows only one instance of
opkg to be running, and packagekitd will open an instance of opkg.

Packagekitd does have a timeout mechanism as well, which should release
the lock if it decides packagekitd is no longer required, but I don't
know if this is enabled in your builds.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/